Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Be Yourself

1 Timothy 1:15 "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief."

My wife showed me two errors on my PowerPoint presentation from Sunday that were there because of computer error. You know what that is don't you? When you think you've typed every number or letter that's supposed to be there and somehow you miss one and whatever you intended to say comes out differently. As much as I want to blame the computer, most of the reasons for those errors is my fault. I could blame it on the computer, but I'm the one that put in the data. So I guess when those mistakes come up, it's on me.

One of the things that I have made know to my church always as a pastor is that I have feelings too and that I have flaws just like they do. Too many pastors, leaders, and teachers are putting on an air of perfection and then something comes along and knocks the wind out of their spiritual sails and their masks come off and the real person is revealed. If all people see in you is a charade, one day your true face will emerge.

f the face you always show the world is a mask, someday there will be nothing beneath it.  Because when you spend too much time concentrating on everyone else’s perception of you, or who everyone else wants you to be, you eventually forget who you really are.  So don’t fear the judgments of others; you know in your heart who you are and what’s true to you.  You don’t have to be perfect to impress and inspire people.  Let them be impressed and inspired by how you deal with your imperfections through the grace of God.

Life is too short to worry about people who steal happiness from you.  If someone wants you in their life, they’ll make room for you because you are you.  You shouldn’t have to fight for a spot by being someone you're not.  Remember, it’s not the people that stand by your side when you’re at your best or who think you're somebody you're not, but the ones who stand beside you when you’re at your worst that are your true friends.

So stop trying to be someone you’re not. One of the greatest challenges in life is being yourself in a world that’s trying to make you like everyone else.  Someone will always be prettier, someone will always be smarter, someone will always be younger, but they will never be you.  Don’t change so people will like you.  Be yourself and the right people will love the real you because in spite of your imperfections, God is still working on you and they realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment