Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

My Hero

We all grew up with heroes. When I was a boy it was Roy Rogers, Mickey Mantle, and Johnny Unitas. As a young man it became Joe Montana and Steve Young in sports, Ronald Regan in politics, and Indiana Jones in the movies. 

In my life, there have been many heroes I've looked up to, but there is one that I look up to more than anyone else. His name is Jesus. Jesus was the promised Messiah, the Son of God, and was also fully man. He was born of the virgin Mary in a small town called Bethlehem. During his lifetime he performed many miracles and wonderful works. Jesus fulfilled all of the prophecies made about him in the Old Testament during his life. Even though he never sinned, he was nailed to a cross to die for our sins. Three days after his death, he rose again from the grave. He remained on the earth for 40 days, appearing to many people including his disciples. Before ascending into heaven, he gave what is commonly known as the Great Commission, which he commanded his disciples to go out into the world, preach the gospel, and baptize people in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He also said that he would come back the same way he ascended into heaven. Then he ascended into heaven.
 
Without Jesus, I know I am nothing and have no purpose in this life. Because man willfully sinned against God, we deserved death and eternity in hell. But God provided a Savior, Jesus Christ, to bare the sins of all mankind when he died on the cross. When he rose three days later, he conquered death, hell, and the grave. There is now a way to God through Jesus Christ and that way is through salvation. It's a free gift that is available for those who choose it. Because of everything Jesus has done for me, I owe my everything to Him. As Paul tells us in the book of Colossians, we are to do everything, whether in word or deed, all for the glory of Jesus. I want to live my life all for the glory of God, but I know I sometimes fail him. But after everything He's done for me, why would I not want to live my life out for Him? That is why Jesus is my hero and will always be.
 
Yes, Jesus is my hero and will always be. For everything he has done for us, we deserve to give our praise and glory back to Him. He proved he was, indeed, the Son of God while on this earth. The hope he provides is available to who accepts His free gift of salvation. As more people come to know Christ as their personal Savior, there will be more people who will say that Jesus is their hero as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment