Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

911-Things will never be the same

Eleven years ago today I was sitting in my recliner in Union, SC stunned by the images I saw on television. I can only imagine what the folks at Pearl Harbor must have felt when they were attacked by Japanese aircraft seemingly from nowhere. The attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon were things I never thought I would see happen on American soil. It is still unbelievable today to even think about it.

It has changed us in ways we will never understand directly and indirectly:

-It's changed the way we think about our security as a nation. If you don't believe me you haven't taken a flight lately or gone to a major event. We don't even trust our own selves anymore.

-It's changed our financial structure. We have never recovered fully from the attack financially. This affected our daily business operations, our insurance industry, the transportation industry, and even the hospitality industry has never fully recovered.

-It's exposed a vulnerability about our nation that we never anticipated. We saw a savagery about our civilization that still chills me to the core when I think about it. The sights of people running for their lives and jumping out of 100 plus floor buildings all because of a zealot's belief shows how little life means to some people.

Some children never saw their parents again and some parents never saw their babies again. They never got to hold one another and and say, "I love you." They never got to see each other grow old, start families, or enjoy life with one another. In just a few moments their whole world came crashing down and life stood still.

So even though things may never be the same after that fateful day, one thing is for certain. You who survived are in my prayers. Not just in my prayers, but I believe in the thoughts and prayers of all Americans today. To the family members of the victims just be assured someone is lifting you up in prayer daily. Things may never be the same, but God can help heal the hurts when no one else can.

We will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment