Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Teams of Destiny

Man, I already joked this morning that I am glad I'm not a gambler because I have missed it all football season. I never thought in a million years the Giants would win the Super Bowl because of the revenge factor of the Patriots. However, some teams are just made to be teams of destiny.

I dislike the NFL East. Always have and always will. I don't like the Cowboys, the Giants, the Eagles, or the Redskins. Just being real now folks. As a boy going up in Conway I hardly ever watched the first games on tv because they would always play the Redskins games as the regional team. As I grew older I was thankful for cable and satellite and the expansion of the league. So my distaste for the Giants comes from way back. Number one because they literally stole Joe Montana's SF identity in the 1990 Championship game with the injury they gave him. Number two because they always compare Eli with Peyton and I for one am sick of that. The New York fans either hate him or love him and the press always brings up the comparision. Now the debate will rage for days, months, probably even years since he has won his second Super Bowl.

But whatever I think doesn't matter-they won. But I believe they won because they were destined to win.

Look back at the way they got there and how they won:

-A missed tackle allowed them to get the lead on and beat the Jets.

-The hapless Cowboys fell more to their reputation and couldn't have won at flag football the way they played that last game against them. In other words, the Cowboys appeared to give up.

-I admit the Giants beat the Falcons to pieces. I don't even know what they were doing in the playoffs as bad as they played in that game against the Giants.

-The Hail Mary pass and catch before halftime sucked the life out of the Packers and they never recovered.

-Dropped passes and two fumbles allow them to beat my Niners in overtime.

-3 dropped passes made the difference in the Super Bowl and the ability to recover their own fumbles helped as well.

As much as I hate to say it, the Giants are World Champs. Whether they deserved it with a 9-7 season record is debatable, but guess what-the ball bounced right on their side and they won. They were a team of destiny and it proved to be right. They will be World Champs for this year, but a new year starts 7 months from now. Guess what? Maybe the balls bounce right for another team then. We'll just have to see it when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment