Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, February 13, 2012

40 Years Is A Long Time

40 years ago I married the girl of my dreams. We have been married most of our lives. Some of my friends have been married two, three, even four times during that span of time. But I was blessed with the lady of my life from the time we met at Pee Dee Camp Meeting until this very day.

It's very unusual how God puts people together for a lifetime because:

-We don't have a lot of things in common. Our diets are different, our likes and dislikes are not the same, and as we get older together we get more stubborn about changing our routines.

-We do still have disagreements in this journey. Just because we've been married for so long doesn't mean we always agree on everything. We still have our arguments from time to time just like everybody else does.

-There are times we feel disappointment for each other. Not that we don't care or show that we care enough, but there are times when we each feel that maybe we have not done all we needed to do to support one another in ventures and activities that we've explored during our marriage. That feeling that maybe if one of us had of done something different things might have changed does nag at us both from time to tome.

Yet, in spite of everything and every place we have been on this journey, we still love each other after 40 years. I will admit that I am a challenge to live with sometimes due to the stress and strain of the pastorate. I also will admit that sometimes I feel guilty for submitting Becky to all of those pressures as well. But all I can say is that when God made Becky, He did two things: Said, " It is good," and then threw away the mold.

So let me say it this way:

To the most beautiful lady in my life who gifted me with a talented, intelligent son, Shane, that carries on our heritage. I am a blessed man today with a beautiful wife, a beautiful daughter-in-law, and two beautiful granddaughters that remind me of both of their grandmother and their mom.

Oh yes, lest I forget, my youngest, my grandson, who at an event yesterday reminded me so much of his dad at that age. I am truly a blessed man.

Thanks Becky for 40 years-Happy Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment