Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

God Doesn't Need Miracles

One of my former members from Union sent me a Facebook message regarding a local minister preaching that God didn't have to use miracles anymore to reach people. She said that in his sermon he said that we should only preach about grace and the cross and not about manifestations of God through His Spirit. I guess it depends on your definition of a miracle because...

-It was a miracle when my life was transformed by the mercy and forgiveness of God.

-It was a miracle when my past was forgiven and I was changed by the power of God.

-It was a miracle when I called upon His name, "Jesus", and He responded with eternal life.

-It was a miracle when I got up from the altar that He made everything brand new within me.

-It was a miracle that Jesus died on the cross just for my sins even before I was born.

-It was a miracle that through His grace I was freely forgiven and didn't have to earn my salvation (which none of us would ever be able to do).

You can label it anyway you want to, but when you preach the cross, grace, or Jesus you are preaching about miracles. If you don't believe me read John 3:16 one more time. It's the most miraculous verse in the Bible. Amen!

No, God doesn't need miracles to convince us of His love for us, but I'm glad He gave us one in Jesus. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment