Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

39 Years Ago

Do you remember what you were doing 39 years ago today? I do. I was getting ready to get married to Ms. Rebecca Sue Brigman of Hamer, SC. It's amazing some things you remember the older you get and some things that you forget. But I do remember that Saturday 39 years ago.

I was an evangelist at that time and was planning on moving to the COG Campground in Mauldin (or Simpsonville according to which side you live on). We had rented a mobile home from Pastor E. F. Munn and were excited about moving in. We had already set up everything the week before the wedding so that when we got there Sunday night it would be in place.

We had the rehearsal dinner that night and mom and I got into an argument about something stupid. I also slammed the car door on my hand getting stuff into the old Hamer fellowship hall. We were just trying to get ready for our big day.

A lot has changed in 39 years. My best friend, my dad, has been in heaven now for almost 23 years. Both my parents-in-law have joined him as well. My Aunt Shirley, who was our Matron of Honor has gone on as well. Mom is still with us, Dennis and David have gotten married and raised their families, and Becky and I have 3 grandchildren now. The old Hamer church and fellowship building was sold to another group and the old Hamer Elementary school where we had our reception has been torn down. Yes, a lot has changed in 39 years.

However, the sweet lady God gave me for a wife has not changed one bit in my eyes. I still see the girl sitting at the piano on stage at Pee Dee Camp Meeting when I look at her. Her hair is a little gray now (so is mine) and she is about 10 pounds lighter, but she is still the best thing outside of Jesus that ever happened to me.

My only regret in life is that she has had to put up with so much as a pastor's wife. Not many women can do something like that, only those that God calls. After 39 years, all I can say is I'm glad God called Rebecca Sue Brigman to become Rebecca Sue Brigman Stone. When He made her He threw away the mold because He couldn't crate anything any better. Those who know her agree with me.

Thanks babe, for 39 years....and Happy Anniversary tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment