Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

At Your Wit's End (Part 14)

Ezekiel 37:11 declares that at one time the nation of Israel lost hope but when their hope rekindled, God said:

Isaiah 57:10 "You are wearied in the length of your way; yet you did not say, “There is no hope.” You have found the life of your hand; therefore you were not grieved."

-Hope dispels weariness and leads to spiritual renewal.


-Hope is an anchor for your soul, sure and steadfast in times of trouble.

-Everything we do should be done with an attitude of hope because the Lord takes pleasure in those that hope .

Hope is based on faith:
Romans 8:24, 25 "For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance."  


Abraham is perhaps the best Biblical example of a man who learned the power of hope. Despite his age and Sarah's barren womb, he believed "God who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did" and "contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken" according to Romans 4:17, 18.

The Psalmist David wrote more about hope that any other Biblical author. Ask God to rekindle your hope for the future as you read the following declarations from the book of Psalms:

16:9 "Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; my flesh also will rest in hope."

22:9 "But You are He who took Me out of the womb; you made Me trust while on My mother's breasts."

31: 24 "Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord."

33:18 "Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy."

33:22 "Let Your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, just as we hope in You."

38:15 "For in You, O Lord, I hope; you will hear, O Lord my God."


39:7 "And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You."

42: 11 "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God."

71:5 "For You are my hope, O Lord GOD; you are my trust from my youth."

71:4 "But I will hope continually, and will praise You yet more and more."

119:49 "Remember the word to Your servant, upon which You have caused me to hope."

119:81 "My soul faints for Your salvation, but I hope in Your word."

119:114 "You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word."

119:116 "Uphold me according to Your word, that I may live; and do not let me be ashamed of my hope."

Psalm 130:5 "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I do hope."

130:7 "Hope in the Lord; for with the Lord there is mercy, and with Him is abundant redemption."

131:3 "Make the decision--right now--that you will "hope in the Lord from this time forth and forever!"

Jehoshaphat's reaction here is a powerful gesture of piety; he does not delay his praise and thanksgiving until the battle has proven God's promise. His trust in the Lord is such that he is content with the prophetic assurance that his prayer has been heard. 

When Jehoshaphat finished his appeal to God, a hush fell across the waiting congregation. No one stirred. Even the little children remained quiet. They stood there waiting before the Lord. Dependent. Vulnerable. Will their confidence be rewarded? Read the chapter and see!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment