Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Ode to John Henry Ramsey

When I first met John Henry Ramsey many years ago at our State Senior Adult Retreat he introduced himself to me as a former West Virginia Hillbilly. That was not a slur or a cut by any means because he was proud of his heritage and proud of his history. Little did I know then that Brother John would be my member a few years later and serve on my council and as a ministry leader in my church.

Several things I learned about this man:

-He loved his Lord. He would always tell me and others about his relationship and life for the Lord. He told me just two days ago that he wished he could have helped me more tell people about Jesus and what he could do in their lives.

-He loved his family. Some of the stories he would tell me about he and Little John coon hunting, about the grandchildren, or about growing up in the hills of West Virginia were fascinating. He loved his precious wife and the entire family. I showed him a picture of he and his great grandson Gabriel that was posted on Facebook before church one Sunday morning and you should have seen the look on his face. He loved his family.

-He loved his church family and his pastor. Brother John would have done anything and everything to help keep Donaldson alive. There were times when we didn't agree on everything (as it happens with all human beings), but he cared enough about me and his church family that he wanted things to go forward. He was well respected by his peers and wanted his pastor to have the same respect. In fact he told me again Tuesday night that he wished he would have been physically able to help me more than he was during my administration here.

-He loved his banjo. Let me just say, the man could pick. He had a chance years ago to be a part of the bluegrass band at Dollywood and I asked him Tuesday if he ever regretted passing up that opportunity. He said what all of us musicians, who have had a chance to play professionally say, "Sometimes." He and Earl Scruggs would have enjoyed picking together. The man could make a banjo talk as evidenced by all the awards he won for his playing through the years. Through our website, Youtube, Godtube, and other media he had people from Africa and India who got to hear him play.

Well, Brother John is with Jesus now. His hurting is over and his body is functioning perfectly. All I can say to the Lord is (and He already knows this) if there is a tractor in glory that needs to be overhauled you brought home the right man. And if you need a little bluegrass in that heavenly band, you got the right man. I will miss him here, but I plan to see him again.

John Henry Ramsey, I salute you. Another soldier of the cross has made it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment