Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

God's Super Bowl

The San Francisco Forty Niners and the Baltimore Ravens will square off tonight in New Orleans for the World Championship of the NFL. This will be SF's attempt at Ring #6 and Baltimore's at Ring #7. My friends all know who I'm pulling for and they come from California.

What separates a Super Bowl Championship team from the team with the worst record?
-The team that has the greatest desire.
-The team that is the most disciplined.
-The team that has the most determination.
-The team that is willing to practice self-denial.
-The team that possesses the greatest distinction and character.

That team, whoever it may be, will win the Super Bowl!

The Word of God emphasizes all of the winning philosophy of a team in these few scriptures. This is about the Super Bowl of Life.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 says,
"Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Philippians 3:12-14
"Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after…I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

-Winners desire something so bad they can taste it.
-Winners discipline themselves to be able to stay on course until the game is over.
-Winners are determined to push through adversity and difficulty.
-Winners know that it's not one above all, but all operating as one.
-Winners know that when the game is on the line they give all that they have within themselves.

In less than 20 hours the game will be over. In the end one team will emerge victorious. A trophy will be awarded, a ring ceremony will be planned for next season, a check will be given to each player for playing in the game, and a MVP will be crowned and go to Disney World. Glory will be bestowed on the heroes of the game, the losers will face the commentators wrath, and one team will have bragging rights for a year.

Yet today a greater game of importance is being played, and you are a key player on the field. You have the opportunity to play for eternal rewards. You can win a prize that will never dim. The outcome is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment