Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

'Tis the Season

I got to see the Million Dollar Quartet at the Peace Center with my family. This has been one of if not the best Thanksgiving ever. Candy cooked a wonderful meal Thursday, Becky made the Mac and cheese and of course her fabulous Haystacks. We ate, played with Samson and Sable, threw the football and Frisbee, watched the parade, and roasted marshmallows. What a great day just being together. Then all of us watching Elvis, Carl,Jerry Lee, and Johnny last night together at the Peace Center brought back some special childhood memories. That's what makes this season special. It's the love and togetherness that families have for each other and getting to spend that time with each other.

Whether it's listening to Hannah talk, or hearing Gracie complain (LOL), or watching Hayden play I am reminded so of when Shane was their age. My grands help make this season special and with the new baby on the way it can only get better. My dad never got to know all of his grands, but he sure would have enjoyed them. I told someone this week that Becky completed me, Shane was a miracle, Candy a double-blessing, and my grandchildren icing on the cake. I may not pastor the largest church, or have the biggest bank account, but I'm a blessed man.

Looking at the time I've been given with my family reminds me of what Christmas really is all about. It's about enjoying childhood and those special in your life. It isn’t about how expensive the gifts we give and receive are. It is about the birth of a special child some two thousand years ago. This child would grow up to teach us all how to love each other. He would give us all so much joy. He would show us all how to face the trials of this life with faith and hope while preparing our souls for the greater life to come. He would help us to know that it's those we love matter more than all the riches of this world.

May we all embrace the wisdom of this special child. May we all fill this Christmas with hugs, kisses, laughter, and joy with our families. Don't waste this opportunity, but take advantage of it. Make this Christmas season special just by being together as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment