Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, April 9, 2012

The Family Matters

The last two weekends have been super special because I got to spend them with my family. As a pastor your church family is important, but there's nothing that beats being with your own family. I used to get so upset with my dad when I was a child because he would spend so much time with church people and not a whole lot of time with me. It wasn't until I got older and into the ministry myself that I realized the time you must invest in people just to keep them committed to church. Then before I knew it I was walking in my Father's shoes and doing my son the same way my dad did me. It wasn't intentional or on purpose, it was just the rigors of the job.

When my first grand was born 12 years ago I decided to change my philosophy of ministry. People still matter and I still do my job, but I've found that if you have to keep knocking on their door to get them to church there's something wrong with that equation. God is still my first priority and always will be, but my family has become more important to me than anything else except my relationship with God. If a person really loves the Lord he or she will honor their commitments and be faithful without coercion.

If you are a pastor today you will understand what I am about to write. People today are going to do what they want to do regardless of what you try to do to help or assist them. If they want to come to church, they will do so because they love God. If they want to stay home, they will no matter how many cards you send or calls you make. Times have changed tremendously and those that really love the Lord are rising to the top. It's not like the old days when church was at the top of the family activity list. Too many of our pastor's homes and families have suffered because they have exhausted themselves chasing down folks who are not committed to church with no results and then are too tired to help each other in their own personal struggles.

The family matters more today than ever before. I want my church to grow and be the best that it can be, but I realize that there are more factors involved in church growth than they teach you at a seminar or meeting. Our culture, demographics, and theology have changed in the past 10 years and I wonder if after 911 we will ever be the same nation again. But one thing hasn't changed, and that is the need for the family to be the most important thing in your life.

Somethings to remember:

-Your children will only be young once so enjoy them while you can.

-Guys, the grass isn't greener on the other side. Make your marriage work.

-Ladies, Prince Charming may have put on a few pounds (and so have you), but if he still treats you good hold on to him.

Yes, the family matters more than anything outside of your relationship with God. Just try to remember that the next time the enemy tries to sway your mind. Don't let go of the precious gift that God has invested with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment