Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Monday, November 14, 2016

It Is Love

Having a stroke changes a lot of things in your rapidly aging body. Daily tasks that were once easy are now quite a bit tougher. One of the things affected in my body was my brain. It seems like I can’t go a day without forgetting at least one thing. Sometimes I go into a room and then have to stop and remember why I went in there. I remember my first day of school, but I can forget what someone said 5 minutes ago. I wish I could blame it on getting a little tired after all these years or maybe just having too much to remember every single day, but that's not the case. So as I have adjusted to it and try to get better, I've learned to laugh with myself about my injury. My heart knows that the only thing I really have to remember is to love.

If I love, then I will be living the way I was meant to live. If I love, then I will be doing what God wants me to do. If I love, then it will not matter how many times I forget a name or a place. Jesus gave his disciples this one command: "Love one another." It truly is the only thing I need to do to live a blessed life in this world.

So many of us spend our lives in a bunch of activities better off forgotten. We are constantly working, spending, and doing so many things just trying to fill the hole within our hearts. It doesn’t work, though. It is like throwing pebbles in a canyon. Only love can fill that hole in your heart. Only love can make you spiritually whole. Only love can bring you back to unity with God.

So just love then. It is what we are here for. It is what we are made for. Choose love, share love, and grow in love everyday of your life. It is your love that will remind you what is truly important in this life. It is your love that will remind you how to help others and make this world a better place. It is your love that will remind you who you truly are.

No comments:

Post a Comment