Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dealing with Grief

5 Comforting Psalms About Grief

Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower."

Psalm 119:50 "This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me."

Psalm 18:28 "For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness."

Psalm 23:4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever."

One of the biggest problems most people face when dealing with sorrow, is wondering when the overwhelming sense of grief will subside.

When you’ve lost a loved one from your life, you feel as though you will never recover from the grieving process. Every time you think of that person your eyes well up with tears and your sense of loss feels inconsolable. Allow yourself to grieve and you will find that with the passing of time your grief will lessen.You won’t ever forget that person, but instead of grief you’ll have wonderful memories.

Dealing with sorrow can be a difficult time for you, but don’t complicate it by turning to alcohol or drugs to ease your pain. What happens when the effects wear off? You’re right back where you started.

The real secret to quickly dealing with sorrow is to live your life as you normally would. Go back to work and socialize with your family and friends. If you were playing sport beforehand then start playing again. Keep your life as normal as you can even though you may still experience feelings of grief from time to time. This is perfectly normal.

If you feel that your grieving period is going on far too long, then you might consider going to a grief counselor. These practitioners are trained to deal in that specialty so ask the experts for some help. Don’t try dealing with it on your own because it can lead to depression which will take longer to get over.

There is always help out there for dealing with sorrow. All you have to do is ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment