Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Camp Meeting Days

My greatest memory of SC camp meeting was in the old open air tabernacle 42 years ago. My dad preached in the afternoon service on Youth Day that week and did a super job. We owned a cabin back then on the grounds and dad would usually take us to Maggie Valley to
Ghost Town either on Monday or Tuesday after camp meeting. Those were great days and sometimes I really
do miss them especially since Dad's been with the Lord.

I spent most of my summers on the camp ground with 3 weeks of youth camp, camp meeting, and our state Bible school. I never thought I'd have my own house there one day.

I really wasn't sure if I was going to be able to go that much this year because
of my knee, but I'm glad I've been able to go in spite of the problem. It's more than just a tradition-it's a blessing that I have greatly enjoyed.

We don't have the afternoon services anymore, but thankfully we have air conditioning, an enclosed tabernacle, and much more comfortable chairs. A
whole lot has changed in 42 years, but the Spirit of the Lord hasn't change. Camp meeting still has a purpose in SC.

Camp meeting days-thank God for Wade Horton, T. L. Lowry, Floyd Timmerman, and dozens of others who made it so special.

Guess what-it still is!


No comments:

Post a Comment