Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Friday, January 6, 2012

What Do You Expect?

We often expect that something or someone else will make us happy. That is really irrational thinking because nobody can make you happy but you.. That is your job. If you expect others to make you happy or to keep you happy, you will be disappointed again and again.

Many folks expect that life should be, for the most part, relatively easy and problem free. This, too, is irrational because bad things do happen and living can be difficult at various times. If you expect things to be easy, if you expect not to have problems, if you expect to avoid pain and heartache, I know you will be in for serious disappointment somewhere down life's road. Problems are here to stay and it's your job to face them and learn how to deal with them with the hope that things will all work out for good.

I don't mean to share a picture of life as bleak and miserable because it isn't. In fact, I think it is amazingly wonderful. And it's even more wonderful when you don't expect everything to always be perfect. I expect some bumps in the road, but I also expect to find joy everyday. I do not expect others to always please me, but I do expect to be responsible for my own well-being. The atmosphere that I create inside my heart, mind, and spirit is the one that will carry me through the hardest times in life.

So what did you expect?


-To live a defeated life? If you do, you will.

-To live in misery? If you do, you will.

-That nothing good will ever happen? If you do, it won't.

-That God can't change your circumstances? If you do, He can't.

-That you can transform your life into one of productivity and value? If you do, you will!

So tell me, what do you expect in 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment