Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Time management

"But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." (Romans 7:23-25 KJV)
Most of us pastors spend way too much time on what is urgent and not enough time on what is important.  In other words, productivity is not just about getting things done, it’s about getting the right things done.  

Being busy for appearance sake only doesn't mean you are always doing what is right. A pastor must take care of his congregation, but he must do so in a balanced way so that he is spiritually and physically empowered by God to be the best he can be.

At the end of each day, you have to look at how you have spent your time, and adjust your schedule as necessary for tomorrow.  If necessary get rid of your schedule’s complexities so you can spend more time on the things that really matter. Sometimes this means fine-tuning and eliminating all but your essential tasks, so you are left with the ones that add value to your life.  

Above all, know when to set aside the time for important things like family, prayer, study, and personal care. I am still in this learning process myself and it is a struggle. Yet I'm learning everyday that I must take care of me if I am going to help lead and take care of others.

So for whoever this message is for today just stop what you're doing and analyze your day. Do what's important because it's important and let the other stuff take care of itself. Fight that inner war and win because tomorrow may depend upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment