Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Don't Waste Your Blessings

I read a story recently about a woman who fell out of a second-floor window and landed in a slow-moving garbage truck. Half-buried in the litter, she tried without success to get the truckdriver’s attention. A foreign diplomat standing on the sidewalk saw her and quipped, “Another example of how wasteful Americans are. That woman looks like she’s good for at least another 10 years.”

2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."

If we think we will be defeated, there's a good chance we will. Proverbs 23:7a says, "For as [a man] thinks within himself, so he is." Sure, it's normal to feel sorrow, pain, confusion, fear, and uncertainty, amid tragedy and loss. But if you allow these feelings to control your thoughts, it can be extremely difficult to overcome and you waste what God has in store for you ahead.

You might be thinking, "But this is just too difficult to deal with! I'm in a desperate situation. I have no money, no job, no idea what to do, or where to go. How can I possibly start over?" Or, "I'm not strong enough, and I'm afraid. I just don't think I can make it." Don't beat yourself! Instead, "Fix your thoughts on what is true and good and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely, and dwell on the fine, good things in others. Think about all you can praise God for and be glad about" (Philippians 4:8 TLB). And whenever a negative thought comes to mind, and tries to bring you down, you can defeat it by counteracting it with a promise from God's Word. Give yourself a competitive edge to triumph over your circumstances. Dwell on the positives!

You have to practice counteracting negative thoughts with positive thoughts, such as promises from God's Word. For example, if you are thinking:

-But this is too difficult to deal with! You can recite Jeremiah 32:17, "Ah Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for You."

-I'm in a desperate situation. You can recite Romans 8:28, "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

-I have no money and no job. You can recite Philippians 4:19, "And my God will supply all your (my) needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."

-I have no idea what to do, or where to go. You can recite Psalm 23:3, "He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness."

-How can I possibly start over? You can recite Revelation 21:5, "And He who sits on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new.'"

-I'm not strong enough. You can recite Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

-I'm afraid. You can recite 2 Timothy 1:7, "For God hath not given us (me) the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

-I just don't think I can make it. You can recite Philippians 1:6, "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you (me) will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

Don't waste the abilities, strengths, encouragement, or blessings God has given. Put them into motion and defeat the devil before he gets started.

No comments:

Post a Comment