Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Between the hours of 9-11


I saw a sign online that was posted in a hotel lobby in Georgia that read:

"Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the hours of 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. daily.

So is it a law in Georgia that those are the only hours to receive complaints? If so I think I want move there!

Of course, complaints in themselves are not bad things. I realize that somethings have to be addressed before they can be fixed, and I believe that there are times when dissatisfaction should be expressed. What's more, I realize that we all have different temperaments. Some people naturally see the glass half full, some see it half empty and some just see that they will probably end up washing it. Some people are naturally more accepting while others complain quickly.

But a tendency to constantly look at what is wrong can become a habit. And habits can take over. I just don't want to become a person who spends a lot of time "standing at the complaint counter."

I find that if I fill my mind with the little irritants of life, I have no room, or energy, left for anything that nurtures and feeds my spirit. No room for genuine appreciation. No room for understanding. No room for enjoyment. No room for fond memories. No room for storing a list of things that bring pleasure.

I want to leave room in my mind for a long gratitude list that I can readily recall when I need a boost. I want to notice what's good and right about the world. And I want to fill my heart and head with that which brings some joy so that I may go to bed each evening contented.

No comments:

Post a Comment