Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Unity (Part 1)

Unity (Part 1)

John 1:1-5 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

Jesus Christ is unified with God the Father and the Holy Spirit. The light represents unity and the fact that the Lord is one God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one. As light, they are indivisible.  Denoting the unity of the one true God is expressed in the opening lines of one of the first professions of faith found in scripture: 


Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord."  

Jesus declared that He and His Father were one in John 10:30: 

"I and my Father are one."  

Jesus desired this same indivisible unity for His followers. He prayed that believers would become one with Him and with God, their Heavenly Father:

John 17:20-23 "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one , even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."

It was by one man that all men were affected by sin and its devastating penalties:

Romans 5:12 "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned."

It was through one man, Jesus Christ, that all men can be made righteous:

Romans 5:19 "For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous."

There is only one name by which you can be saved, which is the name of Jesus according to Acts 4:10-12.  Only through Jesus can you be saved and declared righteous before God.
 

Jesus admonished that you should have:

-One focus-Mark 10:21-22.  

-A singleness of spiritual vision-Matthew 6:22.   

Paul's focus was the Kingdom of God and getting to know God more intimately in Philippians 1:10, 14.  What is your focus?

Jesus declared in John 10:16 that He was the Good Shepherd and that:

"... other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd."

There is one shepherd and one fold composed of all true believers.  Are you part of the fold? Are you in unity with God and your fellows believers?

No comments:

Post a Comment