Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Friday, August 4, 2017

Don't Hang Up Your Harp (Part 6)

I Willows grow where there is water. It was not a desert place, but it was a place they could survive. They could have been content, but it just wasn't what they were used to. It was a strange place, a different place, a new place yet the children of Israel said in their hearts, "It's not our place."

When they were asked to sing the Lord's song they replied, "How can we sing in a strange land?” The desire, the want to, the craving to praise the Lord had been relegated to the branches of the willow trees.

-Sometimes we don't like where we are.
I remember walking into one of my last assignments before I retired and when I walked in the sanctuary God spoke to me and said, "This isn't where you're supposed to be." I thought to myself, "Then why'd you let me come here?" I never heard back from the Lord. Sometimes the surroundings are different. You think you're doing right, but all of a sudden you realize you've made the wrong decision. I have come to realize that in all things God has a purpose even when we think we're doing right and it turns out to be wrong. Yet, even though we may be in the wrong place at the wrong time we cannot afford to just give up and walk away.

-Sometimes we don't like what has happened to us.

Have you ever said, "I don't know why this is happening to me?" I'll guarantee you the children of Israel said the same sing. Many other personalities in the Bible would agree with you. The question, "Why?", will always be on our minds. Remember it rains on the just and the unjust. 

-Sometimes we lose our song and we refuse to sing.

Some of you reading this right now for a great part of your life you have been a worshipper, a praiser, one who glorified God with your hands, your feet, your mouth,  but you have stopped.  You have hung your harp in the willow trees because of things surrounding you that are unpleasant and discouraging.

Maybe you've lost your job.

Maybe something has gone wrong at home.

Maybe your health has declined

Maybe you just don't feel at ease anywhere.

Maybe you feel like you are in a strange place.

You've let the enemy rob you of your song and your harp of praise is hung in the willow trees of this world. But it's not your song or just some good melody. It's also not just a music chart with a good rhythm or beat. It is the Lord's song and we must sing it wherever we are and in whatever circumstance we are in.

If it were my song I could choose whether I would sing or not.  I could hang my harp on the willow if I choose to, but it's HIS song so we must sing it. Whether you want to or not, whether you like it or not, or whether you feel like it or not-open your mouth and sing.



No comments:

Post a Comment