Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Fishers of Men (Part 2)

I Luke 14:16-24 "Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready. And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper."

If you want to catch fish, you must go where the fish are.  Fish live in water.  You will never catch fish by waiting on top of a mountain or in the middle of a desert.

As  a believer, you must go where the fish are spiritually.  Men and women live in the world.  You cannot wait in the church building for unbelievers to come to you.  You must go into the marketplace, the schools, and the offices and "fish" wherever unsaved people are found.  

When you are fishing in the natural world, it is important to consider the environment.  You must observe the current and depth of the water.  You must know if it is salt water or fresh water.  You must observe how the wind is blowing.  All of these natural factors determine the type of bait and the methods you will use to fish.

The same is true in the natural world.  You must analyze the environment in which you find men and women.  What are their needs?  What is happening in their lives?  This will help you determine the method to use in fishing for their souls.

When Jesus met the woman at the well in John 4, He analyzed the environment in which He found her.  She was seeking natural water. He used this natural need to help her recognize her spiritual need.  The method He used "reeled her in" to the Kingdom of God.

 
In the natural world, if you are using trout fishing methods in salt water you will never catch trout.  Trout do not live in salt water.  They live in fresh water.

If you do not analyze the environment in the spiritual world, you will find yourself "fishing for trout in salt water" because you do not understand where people are and how to reach them. Before you cast out your net identify the fish in the area. if it's the poor, feed them. if it's the hurting, heal them. If it's the lonely, love them.
 



1 comment:

  1. Hello Pastor Alton Stone. I am also a Pastor from Mumbai, india. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you as a Pastor, writer and musician. Your post on "Fishers Of Man" and explaining it through another parable on Great Supper Luke 14:16-24 is bringing out the message of where to catch fish and other aspect of catching fish. I have thoroughly enjoyed by going through it. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs. in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and t he poorest of poor live. We reachout to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your church young people to come to Mumbai during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is ; dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and ministry.

    ReplyDelete