Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Thursday, May 7, 2015

It's Amazing

Romans 11:29 "For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance."

Soapbox time again. This is for every person out there that thinks all pastors are only in the pulpit for the money. I understand in this age of media evangelization everybody thinks pastors are over compensated because of the extravagant lifestyles some of the media preachers live, but all of us don't live like that. In fact the majority of pastors in the US and around the world can barely make it when they retire because they were under compensated most of their ministry.

Now I know in some organizations because of nepotism or connection some people just bypass all the hardships that others seem to have to go through. And don't say I'm jealous because I made that statement because the human side of any person would like the easiest approach to a position. Some pastors have never struggled like most and have more than they know what to do with. But let's face it, the majority of pastors just barely get by if the Lord allows them to live a few years past the pulpit.

Most pastors just go to place because God leads them. and opens a door When I left my former church I was making the most money per week that I had made in 5 years. The church before that could barely pay me and in fact owed me back pay when I left that I will never get. My new church was actually matching what I made at a church I had served for 13 years. I only stayed there 4 months and got the vote to be their permanent pastor, but I felt that I was out of the will of God. Their compensation package was the best I had had in a long time and the human side said, "Take the money", but the spiritual man said, "Go where I send you." I am making a whole lot less now than I was 6 years ago, but my heart is at peace where I am serving as a candidate now.

The problem I have is that I know a whole bunch of pastors who are like me. They don't go somewhere just for the money, but they go because God leads them to that place of ministry. Money is good and we all need it to survive, but the love of money IS the root of all evil. And there are some of us who are called into the ministry not by father or mother, but by God. Sadly, some of those guys will never catch a break or will always pastor a smaller congregation, but they are faithful to their calling and honest before God regardless of their financial compensation.

I don't have a mansion, a plane, or a sailboat. I have enough to get by and my needs are taken care of. I try to live within my means and just trust God. Millions of other pastors do the same. We have a gift and a calling we're not ashamed of. We can't please everybody nor can we solve everybody's problems. We are not spiritual Supermen or Superwomen, just people of faith with a gift and calling from God doing the best we can to honor and represent Him in this world.

So the next time somebody runs your pastor down or talks about overpaying him, just tell them to be quiet. If you have a good pastor take care of him or her. Who knows? When it's all said and done they might have prayed a prayer, made a visit, preached a sermon, or done something else that changed the life of someone you care about dearly. Honor their gifts and calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment