Welcome to the blog of Pastor Alton Stone, from Simpsonville, SC. Pastor Stone is a retired Ordained Bishop of The Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee with over 45 years of pastoral ministry.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Don't Waste Another Second

Psalm 39:5, 6 NLT “You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath. We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.”

I saw the other day that a wealthy man paid $736,000.00 for a watch. As I was shaking my head at the insanity of it I glanced at my own $79.00 watch. It tells me the time just fine.

I guess that would leave me about $735, 921.00 left over. With that I could:

-Send 18 kids to college for 4 years each with room, board, and books included.

 -Sponsor almost 200 needy children overseas into adulthood.

 -Buy meals for 2 ½ million starving people around the world.

With that much left over money I could do so much good, help so many souls, and still know the time whenever I looked down at my wrist.

When did our society become so insane that anyone would think they needed a $736,000.00 watch? When did people become so shallow that they would believe a one million dollar car is essential? My first car cost me only $50 and it still got me wherever I needed to go (well almost everywhere). When did 50 million dollar yachts and 100 million dollar houses become so vital to a person’s happiness?

Someone at some point in our society has to say "Enough is enough!" Materialism or having things has no lasting value to you, if you don’t possess your own soul.

 Psalm 90:12 CEV “Teach us to use wisely all the time we have.”

 
-Each of us only has one life. Let’s not waste it on the watches we wear and the cars we drive.

Ecclesiastes 2:24-26 The Message “The best you can do with your life is have a good time and get by the best you can. The way I see it, that's it—divine fate. Whether we feast or fast, it's up to God. God may give wisdom and knowledge and joy to his favorites, but sinners are assigned a life of hard labor, and end up turning their wages over to God's favorites. Nothing but smoke—and spitting into the wind.”

 
-Each of us only has one soul. Let’s not lose it trying to gain the whole world.

 
Matthew 16:26 CEV “What will you gain, if you own the whole world but destroy yourself? What would you give to get back your soul?”

 
-God put us here to love each other, to help each other, and to make this world a better place together.

 
Galatians 6:9 CEV “Don't get tired of helping others. You will be rewarded when the time is right, if you don't give up.”

 
Proverbs 25:19 CEV “A friend you can't trust in times of trouble is like having a toothache or a sore foot.”

 
Things will never bring us joy like living the way that our Heavenly Father meant for us to. No amount of material wealth in this world will ever equal the treasures of Heaven.

 
-Live your life in love, joy, and oneness with God then.

1 Corinthians 7:23, 24 CEV “God paid a great price for you. So don't become slaves of anyone else. Stay what you were when God chose you.”

-Help others whenever you can.

Galatians 6:9 CEV “Don't get tired of helping others. You will be rewarded when the time is right, if you don't give up.”

-Make this world a better place now. Life is brief and no watch will buy you an extra second of it.

Isaiah 58:6-9 The Message “"This is the kind of fast day I'm after: to break the chains of injustice, get rid of exploitation in the workplace, free the oppressed, cancel debts. What I'm interested in seeing you do is: sharing your food with the hungry, inviting the homeless poor into your homes, putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad, being available to your own families. Do this and the lights will turn on, and your lives will turn around at once. Your righteousness will pave your way. The God of glory will secure your passage. Then when you pray, God will answer. You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.'”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment